Peru is located in western South America
128.5 million hectares
Area of forest cover:
74 million hectares
What are the main threats to /issues relating to forest communities and lands in this country?
- 34% of the Peruvian Amazon is covered in Oil and gas concessions (26.2 million hectares) – this includes concessions allocated over titled land and protected areas.
- Pending land titles for 5 territorial reserves to protect indigenous peoples in voluntary isolation
- More than 841 communities are claiming territorial rights: 126 are requesting recognition, 537 registered waiting for land titles, more than 178 communities asking for extension of their original area.
- Six Communal Reserves, approximately four million hectares, are pending recognition and categorisation
RFUK aims to:
- Contribute to the creation of sustainable livelihoods opportunities
- Build conditions for better respect of FPIC, (Free, Prior and Informed Consent)
- Support improved governance of indigenous territories
- Strengthen indigenous organisations
- Defend indigenous peoples' territories against unsound extractive industries, such as mining and oil