Our Vision and Values
In This Section
“Ultimately, we want to change the view that forest peoples are the ‘problem’ into one where they are seen as an implicit part of the solution- which requires that there rights are better respected, and also that environmental goals can be achieved”
Executive Director- RFUK (1997- present)
The threat of deforestation far from over. In the next 30 years the world will need to clear around 200 million hectares of land for farming, fuel production and fibre production which will predominately originate from the rainforest in developing countries. The search is on for resources from oil to minerals, particularly in South America and the Congo basin which has led to the development of new large scale infrastructure such as ports, railways, new roads and pipelines which has the potential to fragment habitats. Governments are eager to tap into these resources to develop their economies; however this comes at the cost of displacing indigenous communities from their ancestral lands.
The rainforests are the single largest repository of biodiversity on earth; we are still unaware what benefits are hidden in the forest in terms of new medicines, food products and new species. More importantly, the rainforest is what 50 million people call home.
We hope that, in the future, deforestation will have ceased in all major tropical forest regions; the Congo Basin countries will have adopted and enforced legislation to protect indigenous peoples’ rights and in South American forested countries, these peoples’ rights to choose their own form of development and governance will be fully respected. Ultimately we want to provide innovative solutions for the people who depend upon the rainforest for the next 25 years and beyond so that these communities have the appropriate capacity to defend their forest and no longer need our assistance.
Our values encapsulate everything we do:
- Experience-We collate our experience and knowledge in this field and use our unique understanding/perspective of issues facing traditional and forest peoples which enables us to be ahead of the curve.
- Passion- We care about the rainforest and the people who depend upon the for survival
- Innovation- We actively seek out and apply new technologies, methods and concepts that help us deliver our mission
- Integrity- Securing lands and Sustaining lives is at the heart of everything we do and we make no secret of it
- Collaboration- We establish and maintain effective, long standing, mutually beneficial partnerships.