Upcoming: Webinar Series debating Nature-Based Solutions for Climate Change
April 30, 2021
Rainforest Foundation UK and World Resources Institute are hosting a two-part webinar series and debate exploring the political ecology of Nature-Based Solutions
Nature-Based Solutions for Climate Change: Reconciling the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
May 10 and May 17, 2021
9:00 AM - 10:30 AM EDT / 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM BST
“Nature-based solutions” (NbS) are increasingly touted as a solution to the intertwined climate and biodiversity crises. In the lead-up to COP26 in November, countries are increasingly focusing on the role that NbS can play in national commitments for mitigating the effects of climate change. However, with the term NbS defined variably and used loosely by a range of different actors for various objectives, the concept of NbS has escaped the lab.
How should policymakers, researchers, the private sector and implementing organizations think about NbS as a potential climate solution for reducing emissions and increasing carbon storage, maintaining the ecological integrity of tropical rainforests and other critical natural ecosystems, and respecting the rights and livelihoods of Indigenous Peoples and local communities? Where does NbS sit in relation to other urgently needed climate actions? How can we learn from past mistakes and build on the latest science to do better?
Join global experts from WRI, Rainforest Foundation UK, and partners for a series of two webinars to discuss NbS.
The first webinar will focus on understanding the scope, science, and politics of the NbS discourse in the international arena and propose ways forward. The second webinar will explore the real-world challenges of implementing NbS on the ground and its implications for local and indigenous communities, drawing on lessons learned from other international policy processes such as REDD+.
Webinar 1: Nature-based solutions: Understanding the lay of the land
- May, 10, 2021 - 9:00-10:30 AM EDT / 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM BST | Register here
- Charles Barber, Senior Biodiversity Advisor, World Resources Institute
- Lucy Almond, Director and Chair, Nature4Climate
- Frances Seymour, Distinguished Senior Fellow, World Resources Institute
Webinar 2: New era or false dawn? What nature-based solutions could mean for Indigenous Peoples and local communities
- May, 17, 2021 - 9:00-10:30 AM EDT / 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM BST | Register here
- Joe Eisen, Executive Director, Rainforest Foundation UK
- Blaise Mudodosi, Coordinator, Action pour la promotion et protection des peoples et espèces menacés (APEM), DR Congo
- Ruth Buendia, Vice President, Central Asháninka del Río Ene (CARE), Peru
- Andy White, PhD, Coordinator, Rights and Resources Initiative
This event will offer simultaneous translation in Spanish and French.
All registrants will receive a copy of the webinar recording even if they cannot join live.